Friday 22 April 2011

Make make make!











I've been really busy recently putting the finishing touches to my final dresses and accessories. Despite practising seams with the fabric beforehand, nothing could prepare me for how difficult the crepe de chine has been to work with! Due to how slippery it is under the machine i have had to put a layer of pattern paper underneath when sewing and remove it after which has made things a lot easier! I have underestimated how long the dresses would take to make which has been a real learning curve and taught me a lot about time management. While the basic dresses we all made in a day, finishing the neckline and arm holes with bias binding has taken a long time and meant using a different foot on my sewing machine which feeds both layers of fabric along. This was difficult to sew with and was quite bouncy which made it difficult to be accurate. Thankfully i had a tool to help make bias binding which has saved me a lot of time.


Initally the dresses had sleeves but looking at them before the sleeves were added i felt these weren't needed anymore as the dresses captured the relaxed feel i wanted to achieve without them. 


Unfortunatly just before the end of term the laser cutter broke so i was unable to use it so in the mean time i had to make do with the text pieces i had cut out. I have sprayed these a pastel purple colour as i wanted something which goes with all of the dresses whilst still being ecclectic. I really like this colour and it also matches the textile pieces so i might use this throughout the whole accessory range but in different materials. I used some spare bias binding as a strap for the necklaces but as i want them to be worn with all the dresses i want to find a matching purple ribbon to give them a uniformed look. I think it is important that despite the intricate shapes they are not too fussy as this will look too much next to the prints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment