Sunday 27 March 2011

Dye development



I mentioned previously about wanting to create more colours in my necklaces to give them a more organic feel. I used writing inks before as they were all i had at the time but actually gave a really interesting effect so i bought a couple more colours to experiment with. I dropped pink ink onto my necklace but it looked too separate so i used a water spray to blend the colour into the fabric a bit more. I am really pleased with the results, especially as it was just an experiment initally before seeing what facilities were available in the dye room. I will develop different colours on different fabrics, perhaps more neutral base fabrics so the colours really stand out.


I want to really push the idea of my pieces being multi-functional. Tiffany mentioned i could have little kits with the accessories to help turn them into something else but i think this could put people off who aren't really into crafts. Instead i want easy ways to wear in different ways. The flower neckalce worked perfectly as a headband (the flowers stopped just at the ears). This won't be to everyones taste but the option is there.


The hair clip above was just a quick experiment when perfecting the heating technique but i would like to source some fastenings which work as a hair clip and a pin so it can be worn as a badge too.

No comments:

Post a Comment