Sunday 16 January 2011

Textile experiments





I'm feeling a little bit overloaded with information at the mo! I know i want to have a textile element in my project (preferably a detachable necklace - could be reversible too?) but i'm not too sure what direction to go in. In the first image i stiched one of my print designs into fabric and i am really chuffed with the results. I used a floral material to represent my finished prints and althought it is a little bit overpowering i think the result is interesting because i have used similar colours to those in the print so the stitching blends in whilst also adding texture.

In the second image i sticthed the same design onto some cotton but used a double layer of stitch & tear which makes it more rigid so it can be almost bent into shapes (the picture doesn't justify the 3D element!). I like the effect of this but am not sure how i would use it - perhaps a series of the flowers raised on the neckline - a daisy chain?). I must consider how all these elements will sit against the skin when reversed which is why i am considering a necklace as it can be taken off. This is really why i am focusing on embroidery as beading etc would be too uncomfortable.

The third image shows the beads i spoke about in a previous post. I would have liked to experiment more with them but they were so difficult to pin in place! If, when designing, i want to continue the idea of using acrylic i will have to go into the workshop and create my own. Points to consider - holes to attach to each other/attach chain? Weight?

Lastly, i got a kit for xmas to make 'yo-yos'. Unfortunatly the flower came out tiny so looks a bit messy but i really like the round design. It would be interesting to see how a series of these cut in half would look along a hem or again as a necklace...


No comments:

Post a Comment