Monday 24 January 2011

Vintage dress








Although i initally intended to find someone to make my garments i thought it would be worth a shot mocking up some simple garments. I started with a vintage dress i have had in my fabric box for ages and began by cutting out the elastic around the waist to leave me with a basic shape. From here i adjusted the length and the neckline and cut down the front to create a wrap dress. From here i unpicked the pieces and traced them on pattern paper to get the basic shapes. Here i have mocked it up in a jersey and although not quite finished i am really pleased with how it is coming along and it has given me more confidence when constucting garments. I have had the idea to use 1 staple shape such as the one above and create a range from that (turning it into a playsuit, adjusting the length and neckline, adding sleeves - 3/4 length, cap sleeves etc) to make it easier for myself as i want my project to show my print design/embelishment skills rather than creative cutting ability. I did not have enough of the same colour fabric to make the toile but this worked well as in the pictures you can see how the pattern pieces over the shoulder work. They are attached with a piped seam which has made me think about having piped edges at the bottom and around the arm hole too which could feature the reverse print for some continuity.


No comments:

Post a Comment